Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Squaw Butte May

Date: May 25, 2011.

Partners: N/A.

Stats: South Ridge, class 2. 2.5 miles and 2,200 feet one way.

Gear notes: 25lb pack.

Links: Squaw Butte on Summitpost.org.

Squaw Butte.

I had first done Squaw Butte in May of 2009. It is a good local training hike, as well as a fun peak close to town. These are just a few pictures from the last time I hiked it in 2011 while training for Borah. I decided to add this peak in addition to Tom Lopez's Grand Slam Peaks.

SE Rib.

The first time I did Squaw, I did the southeast rib route to try and get a feel for what class 3 rock meant. I learned it's sort of an arbitrary term. The SE rib is steep with some loose rock and it does require hands. It's iffy and not a great route option, in my honest opinion. This time I took the slightly longer south ridge.

View back on the south ridge.

It was a cold day with a stiff wind.

Looking up the south ridge.

The south ridge is scenic and recommended.

View above the SE Rib.

Squaw Butte has some surprising views thanks to its prominence above the valley floor.

Summit view.

The true summit is up near the radio towers. A lot of people drive up the west side, but where's the fun in that. In addition to this peak, I did the other Grand Slam Peaks, as well as Cervidae several times and lots of running to train for Borah.

No comments:

Post a Comment