Monday, May 23, 2016

Boise Peak

Boise Peak is not the most scenic or desirable summit, but it's still a peak so here is what you need to know to go get it.

Ascent Date: 5/22/2016.

Partners: N/A.

Stats: Varies bases on the approach. This trip was a 17.8 mile trail run with 3,600 feet of gain. It can be done as a much shorter hike.

Gear notes: Mountain Hardwear Race Vest with 2 500ml collapsible water bottles, 2 packs of Shot Bloks, 2 packs of sesame/chocolate cookies and a light soft shell jacket.

Links: My stats and routeBoise Peak on Summitpost.orgBoise Peak on Idaho: A Climbing GuideLists of John data.

The current weather cycles have had me pined down on my days off, so I've been running more to keep up the training for Rainier and now a 30k trail race in September. I've never been accused of being fast, or smart, and this trip was neither of those. No pictures from this trip up. I used this peak to add some miles and elevation gain to my training runs in the foothills. To get to the actual highpoint involves off trail bushwhacking and there is literally no view to be had from the top. I had to dilly-dally with my GPS to find the highpoint because there were a few trails that appeared to lead to the top but they ended in dense brush. As I learned the hard way, just stay on the roads and at the very end, turn left to the top. I was being lazy and tried to short cut it. This peak looks cool from the Treasure Valley, but there is nothing to see from the top except the brush and trees. See Tom Lopez's page on Idaho: A Climbing Guide for an accurate account of this peak - "I consider this hike a “check the box” type hike – it’s not super enjoyable or rewarding, but I needed to do it ONCE."

Photo: mtybumpo via Summitpost.org.

Happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment